12.28.2014

Tapes & Wires Mixtape Series | repshowhost


Tapes & Wires
The Mixtape Series

I've been reppin' The Wire since episode 1 when it premiered on HBO.  I was in the formative years of my undergrad life living in the dorms resident halls at NMSU... I recall being the only one in the lobby with my bag of McDonald's during my summer & winter employment as a resident advisor anticipating the next episode off the TV attached to the upper corner wall.  

It's a brilliant show and something I found out about watching The Corner series, which involved Charles S. Dutton (who I was big on during the years of the TV show Roc and several films like First Time Felon & Convicted starring Omar Epps)... The Corner was pre-Wire with writing from David Simon and Ed Burns and my introduction to several cast members I was able to identify later on in The Wire.  Before that my interest in The Corner was locked in when I found out Sean Nelson was one of the leads.  I knew of Nelson through his debut in the classic film Fresh.

After finishing the final season of The Wire, I decided to return to the beginning and just lock in on each episode, chop up the dialogue and re-articulate the mood & tone through mixtape form, blending in & out of dialogue from the film and dialogue that connected with my own community, the drug war, and of course the messages & tones of Hip Hop, Jazz, Soul, Blues, spoken word, and any genre that was included in the film's soundscape.  My goal at the time as I arranged episode.1 was to create a Tapes & Wires series for each episode (one mixtape per episode).  And as the world binges on the HD Wire marathon currently being televised on HBO, I wanted to document this mixtape and share the tracklist on the web.

Until episode.2 through 60, stay tuned and follow updates at the HHA twitter.com/hiphopalumni and of course the Tape Decks blog here.

Tapes & Wires episode.2 in progress...



Keywords + Tag = The Wire | David Simon | Ed Burns | The Corner | Charles S. Dutton | HBO | Fresh | Sean Nelson | First Time Felon | Convicted | Tapes & Wires | episode | Stringer | McNulty | Avon Barksdale | D'Angelo Barksdale | Kima | Herc | Carver | Special Agent Fitzhugh | Wee-bey | Lieutenant Daniels | Deputy Ops | Operation Diesel | Bodie | Wallace | Bubbles | Johnny | Baltimore | El Paso | It's All in the Game

No comments:

Post a Comment