9.06.2026

Flossin for Smiles Hip Hop & Dentistry


Flossin for Smiles Volume 2
((Cinema)) by Jav the Dentist feat. El Da Sensei,
John Robinson & Mandella Eskia
-listen- @ Southern Vangard Episode 476
Start at 53:15


I've had a track on my mind all summer for a minute now thanks to the brothers (Meeks & Jon Doe) over at Southern Vangard. At the start of the summer I pressed play on Soundcloud as I normally do to get a day started and as usual Jon Doe was just...one exclusive after another, like that kid from Fresh, he be sayin', Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! And yeah, there was one track that I tried to track down since I got lost in how dope that Milano Constantine sounded and the Shabaam Sahdeeq spin, but after the smoke cleared, I kept wondering, what was that track? I know I'd heard Sci, but I just got lost in a hurricane of great songs after that I was just trying to make a mental note of. 

I remember a while back Doe mentioned following Southern Vangard on a streaming playlist to source some of the tracks they play, but I was never able to locate it. I started my own #WeAretheGard playlist where I add what's available to reference later for the full project or to simply support. And man, after listening to a few more Southern Vangard sessions, I couldn't get this one track out of my head still that I'd mentioned before. At this point, I was pressin' play on Sahdeeq's album Outside the Lines. Southern Vangard's like an avalanche of new music so by the time you get a few more shows in one can easily lose track of when this track or that track caught a spin.

Summer's just about over, and I still, can't get this song out of my head. It takes a while cause of work to get around to revisiting, posting or finding stuff and it would take me a lil' more time to revisit the playlist. I lucked out as I dropped the player on one of the SV Soundcloud links where I was last seen and it landed right where I needed it to. Right between where I'd first heard it, after ((How it All Started)) by Milano Constantine and Morockko Plus and before ((Windows Down)) by Shabaam Sahdeeq & ES-K, ILL Dose, and Slim Chance. The track is called ((Cinema)) by Jav the Dentist, El Da Sensei, John Robinson (Sci!) and Mandella Eskia. Appreciate you on the playlist documentation Meeks, otherwise how would we ever know?

As I'm searching for album cover info and the like, I end up learning something even cooler about this particular track. It's part of a community initiative with Dr. Javier Lopez aka Jav the Dentist, a dentist out the Bay and Hip Hop music producer. He's the founder of Flossin for Smiles, a community dental non-profit that put out a music project (see cover above designed by Eligh of the Living Legends crew, follow @therealeligh) titled Flossin for Smiles Volume 2. As featured on the track I've had on my mind all summer, it includes forreal eMCee underground icons and artists from across the country. On their IG it states, "Every stream, share, ticket and ounce of support helps continue providing free dental care and education for underserved kids". The story is deep and here are the links to get on track with the movement, to support and listen. At it's best, this is where Hip Hop is at work. Respect to all those involved. The links above will open where I was first introduced to it listening to Southern Vangard. I set the link to open right on the spot where you'll get to listen to ((Cinema)) as spun in the moment by the world famous DJ Jon Doe. It's how I've returned to some of my favorite exclusive tracks as spun by Doe. One I remember and need to track down is Blame One's ((Path of the Kings)). It was another one of those nights cruisin' to the Gard that you just don't forget. What an archive. 

Flossin for Smiles on Instagram @flossin_for_smiles
Track the story posts, like, follow, share and all that!

Donate to Flossin for Smiles via Paypal click here
There's more links and spaces to follow at the linktr.ee CLICK HERE

Peace to Jav the Dentist!

No comments:

Post a Comment