6.05.2014

A Note on KRWG FM Schedule


A Note on KRWG FM Schedule

This small publication really caught my attention when I visited the East side library early June 2014.  There was one copy left in the section with free periodicals and bookmarks, so I took it with me.  

Though the schedule has a decent variety of shows, it's really too bad that FM radio (both KRWG and KTEP) haven't found a way to include Hip Hop rotation, or at least Hip Hop instrumental rotation or some type of Hip Hop rotation.  You may hear a clip here and there on some of the NPR shows or catch an interview every now and then.  I recall hearing an interview on Fresh Air with the Beastie Boys, Ali Shaheed Muhammad, Prodigy from Mobb Deep and I really loved the natural approach Roy Choi took to his interview.  It's rare to hear these voices and the language that represent for present day generations on public radio in our area.  Whenever I tune in to public radio in my area, it sounds very exclusive and limited to a certain demographic (perhaps older) and its almost ALWAYS Jazz or Classical.  Even when I'm driving home, after listening to the news, who wants to listen to classical EVERY night (I think its the KTEP channel that broadcasts like this).  Who is this audience?  Not to say I don't like Jazz or Classical, I do, but can we switch it up sometimes?  Open up some room say on a Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday for something else?  Even if it is automation?  Even if it is instrumental based in case their music departments are worried about the content? Though these dials are public radio, they seem to function just as any other corporate radio broadcast would...confining its rotation for a certain listening audience (maybe the people that donate them the most money??) and an unmotivated approach to engage with other listeners or to at least represent for artists, especially Hip Hop artist that are also musicians.  This attitude they have is what prevents me from making any donations to public radio, though I've donated in the past along with recommendations for how they could potentially expand their listening audience.  If they ceased to exist, what would we really miss considering all of the options to access information these days?  Having done radio in the past, I've at times proposed these ideas in passing to the deaf ears of music directors.  But it's whatever.  Whether or not their is an audience, I think they can afford to take a chance.  Even if its just 1 (one) hour a week.  It would at least break up the monotony and open up a little room for creativity.  With more than forty years in, Hip Hop's demographic is aging and becoming older too.  So maybe that excuse that they broadcast for an older audience, won't be an excuse anymore someday.  Who knows.

I do have to extend props to the Fiesta! show which broadcast from 7 to 9 PM, Monday through Friday with Emily Guerra.  I've heard her show several times, especially back during my time at NMSU, but these days I really need to set a reminder on my cell phone to tune in.  I didn't learn until I moved back to El Paso that we can pick up the dial for KRWG.  Despite several blocked (?) attempts we were never able to extend the frequency for KRUX during my time. As far as Fiesta!, I recall one evening hearing a cover by a band from South America of the Sugar Hill Gang's 'Rapper's Delight'.  Her show is a great example of promoting variety within the genres she explores and a more open approach to broadcasting local, regional, and global sounds and giving listeners something unique and different with each broadcast.  She also has a really great radio personality and a bilingual approach that reflects our border culture in the Southwest.  I wonder if she's ever gotten an award considering how long she's been broadcasting.  If not, Emily Guerra definitely deserves one.  In reviewing the schedule that's printed in the Airwaves publication, its a show that I told myself I really need to keep up with.  Here is the link for the show http://krwg.org/programs/fiesta-krwg but if you're in El Paso/Las Cruces, 90.7 FM will tune you in.  We've linked the program in our ((Listening)) links to the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment