6.07.2014

((Inner Monologue)) by Talib Kweli / 1Track@aTime 5.31.2014

1Track@aTime 5.31.2014
((Inner Monologue))

My intro to Kweli's discography began with Black Star, one of my all time favorite records, followed by Train of Thought.  Around the time of Quality and Beautiful Struggle I had the records but couldn't remember them like I could the Black Star debut and Train of Thought.  With exception to one of Kweli's biggest songs, ((Get By)).  In between Beautiful Struggle and Liberation record with Madlib our university was blessed with a free live show by Kweli which turned up my interests for the upcoming Eardrum record and the Reflection Eternal project that I gotta return to someday, Revolutions Per Minute with Hi-Tek.  Big fan of Hi-Tek's sound and the Teknology installments.  Similar to what happened between Quality and Beautiful Struggle, there's not a lot that stands out to me from Gutter Rainbows to Prisoner of Conscious. I need to backtrack and listen to Gutter Rainbows again. 

After listening to Gravitas, I'd like to get back to Gutter RainbowsGravitas is a cool record.  For the 1Track@aTime, I decided to focus on my favorite track, the intro, ((Inner Monologue)).  One of the qualities I liked most about Gravitas was how it was packaged and the liner notes in the booklet.  Inspires more time and interest with the CD.  I learned the speech on the ((Inner Monologue)) track is from Neil Gaiman.  Kweli mentioned a speech he heard from Neil Gaiman at the University of Arts and how it inspired what he envisioned for Gravitas.  I also dug the production from NC's Khrysis of the Justus League on ((Inner Monologue))... overall an ill introduction to an independent release.

What drew me closer to checking for this record prior was the interview on the Combat Jack Show with Maureen "Ma Dukes" Yancey, James "JDilla" Yancey's mother and Kweli... Also it was ill to see Kweli on the Arsenio Hall show which was cancelled most recently.  Gravitas sounded incredible on TV and it was cool getting the chance to see Kweli on a mainline platform representing for an independent project.  It was also his introduction on Maurice Mobetta's project that pressed me to track Gravitas down.  It was available nowhere locally so I checked it out through Amazon.  If you're not sure about Amazon Prime and are shopping a lot online I'd definitely recommend it.  Overall savings with the free shipping and almost next day delivery options (2 days free).  It reminds me of a music store in Los Alamos when I was working there a few years ago during the summer...they had a store in town connected to a sandwich shop called Gordons.  Anything that popped up on the catalogue (which was just about everything from Lone Catalysts to Common's Like Water for Chocolate) would arrive within two days.  On stock, their collection was light but orders arrived quickly. When it comes to the disposable life of  retail, the CD is on life support today.  There are options if you still collect though.

Listed Gravitas on the charts (see to the right).  One for your collection or as a gateway to tapping into Kweli's past releases.  The hardcopy is worth the investment.  Cover art is dope... interested in knowing who did it.  Also Kendra Ross on the vocals.  If you don't know click here.  This one is going out to the old Soulshine radio show from back when... Make a note to check for her debut New Voice.

Since ((2000 Seasons)) for me.  Talib Kweli.

Check out the Sway in the Morning show, Kweli talking about the business of streaming and "extending the life of a record..."... Also below, the Rare Portraits video!





Keywords: Talib Kweli, Kweli, Inner Monologues, Neil Gaiman, Gravitas, Khrysis, Justus League, 9th Wonder, Javotti Media, Combat Jack Show, Maurice Mobetta, J Dilla, James Yancey, Brookly, Ma Dukes, Reflection Eternal, Black Star, Hip Hop, lyricism, Kendra Ross, Fresh Produce Show, mixlr rotation, Rare Portraits, Sway, Sway in the Morning, streaming music

No comments:

Post a Comment