1.02.2016

#LHHS10 Charts 2016

#LHHS10 Charts 2016
See the list to the left of the screen when you view the full web version of the blog

Moving forward for 2016, I updated the #LHHS10 Charts with records I got the chance to check out in the 4th quarter of 2015.  At the top I have Paris 'Pistol Politics', a timely double disc release.  It's the best Hip Hop record I've heard from a \/\/est coast eMCee in a long time.  What's great is the opportunity fans have to hear Paris' perspective with what's going on today not only through the album itself but through interviews and the promotion he's been doing to get the word out.  Pistol Politics sounds incredible and the social commentary educates listeners with no thoughts attached to label control or industry.  It's about as honest a perspective people will hear from Hip Hop when it comes to police brutality, the economy, racism, US leadership, issues raised by the Black Lives Matter movement and other battles. The quality of the music and message is consistent with what Paris has delivered over the past three decades.  I'm hopeful this means more from Guerilla Funk Recordings in 2016 as I also heard Paris talk about plans to release a new George Clinton record.  Regardless, Pistol Politics is one to revisit again and again in the coming months and years, just like with everything else on Paris' catalogue.  You can stay informed and up to date at guerillafunk.com.

Next up is the most talented Kato1o of Crown City Rockers who dropped On the Cusp in October.  It's a dope followup to the Natural Phenomenons record and another addition to everything great about the creative output from members of Crown City Rockers. You can spend a lot of time learning and listening to everything they've worked on as a group, solo, and through collaboration (check for Raashan Ahmad, Woodstock, Headnodic, and Max MacVeety) . The Roots are my all time favorite Hip Hop group, but there's no doubt that Crown City is in that echelon if not even better considering their efforts to branch off and deliver solo projects such as Kato1o's On the Cusp.  It's an incredible record, inspiring sound, and you can check out the music and more at Kato1o website kato1o.com.

On the list, we're keeping it \/\/est Coast, CA with the release of 90059 by Jay Rock.  Definitely one of the year's most anticipated records for me personnaly and I dug the opportunity TDE gave fans to purchase an autographed CD copy.  With the video release of ((Money Tres Deuce)) it was on.  Rock has one of the most distinct voices in Hip Hop and along with the rest of the Black Hippy family is carrying the torch for something special out of LA.  Especially for artist representing Compton.  In this case though, Jay Rock is taking us straight to the source... \/\/atts, 90059 zip code.  Through Top Dawg Entertainment (TDE), I hear a lot of influence on the millennials from the legacy of voices like Tupac Shakur and other artist from the Death Row days including Dre, Snoop, the Dogg Pound and the Warren G-Funk Long Beach crew...but also there's an element out of the dirty south I hear inspired by the Organized Noize sound of the 90s... I've always felt that way ever since listening to Good Kid Mad City and especially with 90059 on tracks like ((Gumbo)) produced by J.LBS.  Keeping up with TDE over the years has been like watching the students of southern CA graduate to the world stage that once dominated the 90s. I'm looking forward to continuing to hear Jay Rock master his representation of \/\/atts story and I hope we hear more growth in terms of speaking on it's history and culture.  Similar to how New York heralds the Bronx, I'm hopeful there's something more the world can learn about \/\/atts.

Keeping the #LHHS10 going was the latest release from Public Enemy Man Plans God Laughs which dropped Summer of 2015.  It took me a little bit of time to pick it up.  It was actually the audio book by Stuart Scott Every Day I Fight that inspired me to not let the year pass without tuning into the world's greatest Hip Hop group.  There is a moment in Scott's audio book, where the narrator repeats the phrase "...man plans, God laughs..."  and something about Scott's connection to Hip Hop's narrative inspired me to purchase PE's album.  In condensing the record below 30 minutes the group, to no surprise, accomplishes more with less.  While the listening time is shorter the experience is enduring in its message.  A statement we can enjoy, think and talk about, learn and understand. 

For 2015's 4th quarter I also got the chance to check out Curren$y's Canal Street Confidential which got a dope sound, not to mention a feature from one of the illest international producers in the game, Cookin' Soul.  I'm intrigued by Curren$y's story coming out of New Orleans as a No Limit soldier and coming up to become a Jet Life captain.  Through Curren$y over the years I've became fans of eMCee's like Trademark Da Skydiver, Young Roddy, and a network of other artist I can now tap into whenever I need something to listen to in the ride.  Listening to Jet Life also takes me back to the Chicago + Jacksonville connection that Chapter 13 captured in the earlier part of the century.  That's where my mind goes and it makes me wonder how much of Chapter 13 may have inspired what we're hearing today... there is a real distinct sound, in both instrumental and subject matter that Young Valentine, Rashid Hadee, and the Neblina family were speaking on in the first decade of the 2000s. I like to think about that energy regardless if there's any connection cause its exciting to hear this style coming out of New Orleans and the success of Jet Life over the years... keep winning in 2016.

After that for #LHHS10, I added the Jadakiss record Top 5 DOA... it's a conversation fans of Hip Hop love to have and I dug the promotion run with the mixtape and just hearing Jada come back stronger and healthier than ever...A lot of good hardcore New York energy on this record, especially in the production from Swizz... ((Jason)) is a problem!! And its the ((You Don't Eat)) video that had me thinking Creed with Jada back in the ring. In addition for the charts I was locked into the Game Documentary 2 double disc album and the  high caliber force he carries for Compton's control of the microphone in 2015. Straight Outta Compton took the box office by storm and it was great to see that history connect through bonafied eMCees like The Game. 

For 2016 charting I also decided to extend consideration for mixtape projects as there was no mixtape I was looking out for more than Houston's LE$ Steak x Shrimp 2.  Datpiff.com became a primary source for the daily listen throughout the year (especially with the new app!) and on my radar was LE$, definitely.  Next up I got Sean Price's posthumous Songs in the Key of Price record.  I can only imagine where the Brownsville Bomber was going with this effort and appreciated Duck Down for releasing this project as a mixtape, 30 tracks deep.  He's a microphone barbarian and lyrical shooter, defines hardcore Hip Hop and has the most hilarious concepts and title comparisons...from the previously released Mic Tyson project to the titles I thought about and laughed when I saw the tracklist of Songs in the Key of Price, ((Sean Shank Redemption)).  When you get the chance, look up the Seanwuar impression with Pharoahe Monch. Rhyme in peace Sean Price.  

Last but not least, I added Sevin's I'll Wait album.  Sevin is one of my all time favorite eMCees and his latest effort is far removed from the lyrical spirit of previous H.O.G.M.O.B. releases.  The acronym stands for Hooked on God, Ministry Over Bizness.  I first heard about Sevin through my cousin who did a lot of work with the church aspiring to become a pastor out in Fresno, California.  I've been in tune with Christian eMCees ever since meeting the founders of Holy Culture over a decade ago when I did college radio.  They opened my attention to a nation wide network of some of the most talented eMCees, beat makers, film makers, web developers and marketing professionals.  A lot of high quality work with a platform that seemed to do a good job of promoting everything dope about the Christian Hip Hop community.  However, I found out about Sevin directly from my cousin.  Didn't notice any promotion on Sevin's music from anywhere else other than from Sevin himself and his ministry team.  Sevin's purpose is admirable in thinking about his outreach around the country and the world and the power he scribes through the pen to rhyme, inspire, and help change the negative outlook of the gang affiliated or anyone in need of prayer.  On I'll Wait though, he takes a chance (a leap of faith) into his vocal range delivering a spiritual soulful record... all singing.  I recall listening to a Sevin interview and him mentioning his goals to develop in this area of his creative expression... he's explored his vocal range on several songs in the past.  I included I'll Wait on the charts because it sounds incredible and it represents something bigger than what "fans" expect from the artist they follow.  I'll Wait represents something far more personal for this particular artist and their spiritual journey.


Before we get 2016 going, I wanted to share these thoughts mainly to organize myself and everything I had the chance to hear in the final months of 2015.  I'd like to keep the #LHHS10 charts up to date more often and stay balanced between the music I listen to from the past and what's new.  Even though its been eight years since I've been on air, the fun routine of keeping up with the latest listens is still there and stronger than ever.  Especially now as I utilize the blog to exercise my writing skills and document some thoughts to look back on someday. 

Looking forward to a more patient and thoughtful 2016.  One track, one album at a time. 


-Lee
repshowhost@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment