1.17.2011



In memory of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., I arranged a radio broadcast January 19, 2004 on KRUX 91.5 FM.  My approach to these type of programs which would later carry the title... "A Session of..." was all about timing.  If I'm not mistaken, 'A Session of King' was the first of these shows, which would later include sessions dedicated to Malcolm X, Sam Cooke, Huey P. Newton, James Brown, Chicano/a musicians and others.  I recall about a week or two prior discovering a cassette collection of Dr. King's speeches at the Thomas Branigan Memorial Library in Las Cruces, New Mexico.  Before that, I wasn't sure how I was going to put the show together, I just knew I wanted to do it.  Especially since it would be one of our first programs back on air from the winter break to kick off the Spring semester.  In discovering the cassette tapes at the public library, they had just about everything I felt I needed.  I stayed up late nights shuffling through wax, tracks and downloads searching for the background music that I felt captured the message, tone and time of Dr. King.  The tapes also included dialogue from several other notable figures which I included as 'interludes' to give listeners that sense that it was just as much an audiobiography of Dr. King as it was a session of his microphone mastery.

My radio slot broadcasted from 2 to 5 pm, Fridays that semester.  Although, I noticed that I had also documented a Session of King from 1 to 2 am that same night with Hip Hop rotation.  I haven't been able to locate the recording (each show was dubbed) but have included the playlist below. 

In revisiting the 91.5 playlist years, I felt noting A Session of King would be perfect today, January 17, 2011.  A celebration & ode to the late, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.


A Session of King
January 19, 2004 | 2-4 PM

Congressman John Louis ((intro))
Joe Sample & The Crusaders - "Southern Comfort"
Joe Sample - "Free Yourself"
The Crusaders - "Rainy Night In Georgia"

Timothy McNealey - "Sagittarius Black"

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. - Selma to Montgomery
Cymande - "One More"
War - "Walking to War"
Gap Mangione - "Free Again"
John Coltrane - "Alabama"
Curtis Mayfield - "If There's a Hell Below"
Santana - "Every Step of the Way"
Grant Green - "The Selma March"

Rev. Fred Shuddlesworth
Ornette Coleman - "Peace"

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. - Four Innocent Girls
Grover Washington Jr. - "Moonstreams"
Cal Tjader - "Triste"

Idris Muhammad - "Sudan"

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. - Africa
Enno Morricone - "The Ecstasy of Gold"
John Mayer - Double Quintet - "Raga Megha"
Marvin Gaye - "Cleo's Apartment"
John Carpenter - "Theme Song"
John Barry - "A Man Alone"
Yusef Lateef - "1st and 2nd Movement"
Wes Montgomery - "Scarborough Fair"


A Session of King

January 19, 2004 | 1-2 AM

Andrew Young - I've been to the Mountain Top ((intro))
Tariq L - "Stereo Freak"
Fat Jon - "Feel the Void"
Goodie Mob - "Black Ice"

Martin Luther King Jr. - I've Been to the Mountain Top
Pete Rock - "Soul Brother Beats"
Schoolz of Thought - "One of Those Days"
Talib Kweli - "Get By"
The Hemisphere - "Blacked Out"
The Hemisphere - "King of Kingz"
The Roots - "Concerto of the Desperado"
Madlib - "Young Warrior"
Micranots - "Glorious"
Outkast - "Ms. Jackson"
Outkast - "Aquemini"
Outkast - "Babylon"

Mos Def - "May to December"

Dorothy Height - I Have a Dream ((intro))
BK Associates - "Where I Was"
Fat Jon - "At the Bar"

Martin Luther King Jr. - I Have a Dream
Blackstar - "Thieves in the Night"
Algorithms - "Nocturnal"
Outkast - "Liberation"


Remember Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. (January 15, 1929 - April 4, 1968)*


No comments:

Post a Comment