8.12.2015

Nina Simone 1969


Nina Simone 1969

It was the Train of Thought record by Reflection Eternal that put me on to Nina Simone.  The turn of the century introduced a lot of classic records, and one of my favorite songs on Train of Thought was ((Four Women)).  Before he starts rapping Talib talks about the Nina Simone original ((Four Women)). 

I can't remember where I found the LP To Love Somebody.  I have very few Nina Simone records on vinyl.  This one is the first Nina LP I've ever found and its definitely up there as one of the worst cover designs I've ever seen for such a great record.  I love every minute of it.

Here's a note on the back of the LP cover by Claude Hall.  Also noticed the album features Weldon Irvine, Jr. on the organ.

"In the mansion of the mind, where a song feeds only on the nebulous winds of imagination and emotion, Nina Simone walks in musical grandeur where few others dare stray.  She can be warm and tender, or she might turn into a storm of anger, boiling in the fury of the song.  Yet she is so great she communicates human understanding and affection for her fellow beings even while she attacks the towers of Wrong or Prejudice lyrically."

Beautiful.


Keywords + Tag = Nina Simone | To Love Somebody | Weldon Irvine | vinyl | Talib Kweli | Hi-Tek | RCA Records | lyrical | Claude Hall | Four Women | records | wax | digging | Revolution | The Times They are A-Changin' | music | soul | Hip Hop | 2000 | 1969 | organ | vocalist | singer | classic

No comments:

Post a Comment