3.22.2014

((The World is Yours)) by Will Sessions / 1Track@aTime 03.21.2014


1Track@aTime 03.21.2014
((The World is Yours))

I consider Illmatic one of the most important records of my lifetime.  In the Nas video ((The World is Yours)), beat produced by Pete Rock, I compare myself at the time to the kid in the video watching the video.  I grew up on YO! MTV Raps beginnings to end, and BET's Rap City program with Big Lez & Joe Clair... One of the videos that hit me most early on other than Pete Rock & CL Smooth's ((T.R.O.Y.)), the Q-Tips produced Mobb Deep ((Give Up the Goods)), and countless others was the Illmatic videos.  Tracks like ((The World is Yours)), ((One Love)), ((It Ain't Hard to Tell))... I fell in love with those videos.  Especially the Large Professor produced ((It Ain't Hard to Tell)) considering the Michael Jackson sample who during my born days and upbringing as a child of the 80s I considered the music I called my own.  The Thriller LP is day 1 for me.  And so hearing MJ manifest itself into the ((It Ain't Hard to Tell)) track just took it there for me and by the time the 90s came around Hip Hop took over the space between my headphones.  

So for this week's 1Track@aTime broadcasting on KRUX 91.5 FM through the Fresh Produce show hosted by B.Dune, we stepped into the conversation about the 20th Anniversary of Nas's debut Illmatic and wanted to highlight what I feel is one of the best records to pay homeage to the classic by Elzhi and the Will Sessions band out of Detroit titled Elmatic.  As our brother Dune's show is all instrumental based, we wanted to focus on the instrumentals by Will Sessions.  Below, however, is the first video I checked out by Elzhi at the time this dropped.  It's ((It Ain't Hard to Tell)).  Before that I had heard the project was in the works but it wasn't til' the videos started poppin' up on YouTube that I knew it was time.







No comments:

Post a Comment